Thursday, November 03, 2005

Pulling the Pan

I didn't feel safe going all the way up in one go because I didn't know how stable the thing would be. Or how heavy. In retrospect, it would have been easier to go all the way up to start with.
On day two here I had to raise the frame higher on the a-frames so the engine would clear. It would have been easier if I was planning to pull the pan out from the rear, but I needed it out the front for storage.

But a long story short, we lifted the frame up higher on cinderblocks. It wasn't too awful heavy. Me and my brother were able to lift each end and feed a 2x4 through. That's the cool thing about cinderblocks.

After that, the pan is so light a ten year old boy could pull it out.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

On that last picture, you can see in the driveway next door that I inspired the Jones's to keep up.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And in the next picture you can see the 2x4 holding the frame up through the blocks. Hey, whatever works.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And that's it for the pan.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Leaving the frame hanging by itself.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So we lifted it down to the ground.
First the back (heavy)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And then the front (light)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And then some 2x4's under the metal.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

It was good to know that after all of that, the thing is still drivable.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I hope you are still working on the ghia. Restoring VWs is tough work. My last big project was a 70 bug, and it took me 15 months. It needed a lot of sheet metal replacement and welding. A lot more work than you are looking at. Keep at it.
mike

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker